The Old Town Hall Vaults was built in the 1830’s as a merchant’s house for a trader on the High Street, it was one of the first houses on Back Street. When this house became a parlour pub it was called the Back Street Inn and known locally as the ‘Backies’. When Back Street gentrified, the street name changed to St Marys Street and the Inn changed its name to the Corn Market Inn – altogether a more upmarket affair.
At this time the inn was owned by John David Jones, the pub was simple, no bar and just two small parlours. The family had their front room also on the ground floor, on February 17th 1862 German Edward Jones was born in this very room and would achieve fame and fortune as one of the nation’s foremost composers, Sir Edward German.
The pub then changed its name yet again to the now, ‘Old Town Hall Vaults’, due to its impressive vaulted cellars, but to this day is still affectionately known as the ‘Backies’ to the locals. The Vaults is proud host to the only outside privy still used in North Shropshire and is the only listed privy in the county. Outside you will find a small put perfectly formed beer courtyard with outdoor seating.
Always on Tap, Joule’s Pale Ale, Slumbering Monk, Pure Blonde and our English craft lager Green Monkey, alongside our rotating seasonal ale and cold craft beer. All brewed in Market Drayton with pure Shropshire mineral water.
Local town parking is just a 2 minutes’ walk away.
Don’t Miss, the Old Town Hall Vaults special ‘Cheese and Onion Pie’ and range of delicious homemade sausage rolls.