The Coopers Tavern sits stubbornly on Cross Street, Burton on Trent. Originally owned by William Bass, it has been both a Brewer’s house and a malt store and in the 1800’s it was the store for Bass Imperial Stout. The Brewers would pop over to Cross Street from the Brewery to sample the stout, it is not recorded quite when, but the store then became the Brewers tap for Bass Brewery.
In time, it opened its doors as a public house, but served ale as they still do now in the sampling cellar, direct from the barrel. The Coopers has best array of snugs and cosy corners a pub can have to while away time with a proper pint and on winter evenings by a log burner. Two great beer yards, one to the side and one to the rear which catches the evening sunshine.
We have a real sense of responsibility to this pub; it’s a little bit different from our other Brewery Taps in that it sells a broader range of ales despite being Brewery owned. Always on Tap, Joule’s Pale Ale, Slumbering Monk, Pure Blonde and our English craft lager Green Monkey, alongside our rotating seasonal ale and cold craft beer. All brewed in Market Drayton with pure Shropshire mineral water and of course, we continue to serve Bass direct from the cask in the old sampling cellar.
The Coopers is very dog friendly, it’s just a hop skip and a jump from Burton train station and if you’re driving, easy road parking can be found on Milton Street.
Don’t miss, the superb homemade Scotch Eggs – made by the Landlady herself.